Baseball is a game that requires precision, skill, and the right equipment. When it comes to fielding, a high-quality baseball glove is an essential tool for any player. However, with the wide variety of options available on the market, choosing the perfect baseball glove can be a daunting task.
In this article, we'll guide you through the key factors to consider before buying a baseball glove, ensuring you make an informed decision and find the perfect fit for your needs.
Baseball Gloves: What You Should Know Before Buying Your Perfect Fit
#1. Glove Size and Position
The first step in selecting a baseball glove is understanding the importance of size and position. Different positions require specific glove sizes and designs to optimize performance.
Infielders generally prefer smaller gloves around 11 to 11.75 inches for quick transfers and better control, while outfielders typically opt for larger gloves 12 to 12.75 inches to catch fly balls. Understanding the appropriate glove size for your position will enhance your comfort and performance on the field.
#2. Webbing Types
Baseball gloves come with various webbing patterns, each offering different benefits. The two most common types are closed webbing and open webbing. Closed webbing provides added support and conceals the ball, making it ideal for pitchers and infielders who want to hide their grip.
On the other hand, open webbing allows for greater visibility, making it suitable for outfielders who need to track fly balls. Consider the advantages of each webbing type and choose the one that best aligns with your position and playing style.
#3. Glove Material
The material of a baseball glove affects its durability, flexibility, and overall performance. Most gloves are made from leather, which can vary in quality. Full-grain leather is highly durable and retains its shape over time, while top-grain leather offers a balance of durability and affordability.
Synthetic materials are also available, offering advantages such as quicker break-in periods and lower costs. Consider your budget, playing frequency, and personal preferences when choosing between leather and synthetic materials.
#4. Glove Fit and Break-in Period:
Achieving the right fit is crucial for optimal performance and comfort. When trying on a baseball glove, ensure that it snugly fits your hand, with enough room for your fingers to move and flex. A well-fitted glove allows for better control and reduces the risk of injuries.
Consider the break-in period required for the glove. Some gloves may need substantial breaking in, while others are game-ready right out of the box. Understand the break-in process and assess whether you have the time and patience to dedicate to it.
#5. Price and Budget
Baseball gloves can range from affordable options for beginners to high-end models designed for professional players. Establishing a budget before shopping will help narrow down your choices.
Remember that price often reflects the quality of materials, craftsmanship, and additional features. While it's essential to stay within your budget, investing in a durable and well-constructed glove can provide long-term value.
Top 6 Best Budget Friendly Youth Baseball Gloves for Beginners
Best for Young Player
Rawlings Players Glove Series T-Ball & Youth Baseball Gloves Size 9" - 11.5
- If you're looking for a durable and reliable baseball glove for your young player, Rawlings has you covered with the Players Series Youth Baseball Glove. This glove is designed as a utility glove for any position, and is ideal for first-time players who are learning the fundamentals of defensive play.
- DESIGNED FOR YOUTH BASEBALL PLAYERS Ages 5-7
- EASY CLOSE Soft pliable shell for young athletes to close and control while learning the game
- LIGHTWEIGHT VINYL Textured vinyl to provide a pro-look with a lightweight youth-friendly feel
- 10" BASKET WEB Traditional Basket Web perfect for learning the fundamentals of defense at any position
- RIGHT HAND THROW Glove to be worn on left hand for right hand throwers
- The basket web pattern and soft shell construction make it easy for players to scoop up grounders and grab fly balls, while the right hand throw design (glove goes on left hand) ensures a comfortable fit.
- Made of durable and lightweight textured vinyl, this glove is sure to provide your young player with optimal balance, added quickness, and an easy-to-close feel.
Lightweight All Leather 12.5" Glove
Wilson A500 Youth Baseball Glove
- The WILSON 2021 A500 Youth Baseball Glove is just what they need to take their game to the next level. This 12.5" glove is perfect for outfielders and features a lightweight, all-leather construction for durability. The hand opening has been redesigned to be smaller, allowing for more control over the ball.
- Dual Welting and Double Palm Construction help this pattern hold its shape over time, meaning your young player can use it season after season. Get your youngster on the path to greatness with the WILSON 2021 A500 Youth Baseball Glove.
- All-leather construction
- Double Palm Construction gives maximum pocket stability
Maximum Comfort Scoops and Catches
Frankling Sports Baseball and Softball Field Master Glove
- Franklin Sports Baseball and Softball Glove - Field Master glove is crafted from thick, premium synthetic leather that mimics the performance and durability of a true leather mitt without the long break-in period. The hand-formed pocket provides maximum comfort and responsive feel for making scoops and catches without drops.
- The soft synthetic leather material is lightweight and responsive making the glove easy and quick to break in so it will be game-ready in no time for baseball, softball, or teeball
- Complete with an adjustable wrist strap and contour fit system for a customizable thumb adjustment, this glove is designed to fit all players comfortably according to their preferences
- Crafted of a thick, premium synthetic leather designed to mimic the performance and durability of a true leather mitt without the long break-in period
- The hand formed pocket provides maximum comfort and responsive feel for making scoops and catches without drops
- Left Hand Throw glove = worn on right hand to throw with left; Right Hand Throw = glove worn on left hand to throw with right
- The soft synthetic leather material is lightweight and responsive, making the glove easy and quick to break in so it will be game-ready in no time. Complete with an adjustable wrist strap and contour fit system for a customizable thumb adjustment, this glove is designed to fit all players comfortably according to their preferences.
PowerClose Youth Baseball Glove
Mizuno Prospect PowerClose Youth Baseball Glove
- Introducing the Mizuno Prospect PowerClose Youth Baseball Glove Series. This series are designed for durability and comfort, with full grain pigskin leather and a butter soft palm liner.
- Full grain pigskin leather: for great durability
- Butter soft palm liner: PU palm lining for increased durability, feel, and comfort
- Mzo lining: disperses perspiration away from the skin
- Air mesh back: increases flexibility & breathability
- Right Hand Throw= worn on left hand, left hand Throw= worn on right hand
- The Mizuno lining disperses perspiration away from the skin, while the air mesh back increases flexibility and breathability. The PowerClose feature provides a secure and tight fit, while the Right Hand Throw design means it can be worn on either hand. Whether you're a lefty or righty, this glove is a great choice for any young baseball player.
Top-Quality Baseball Softball Glove
Rawlings Player Preferred Glove Series
- Top-quality baseball or softball glove that will help you catch everything thrown your way. Rawlings Player Preferred Glove Series. These gloves are designed to be easy to use for players of all ages and skill levels, making them perfect for recreational games.
- Versatile web that can be used at any position on the field
- Quality material ensures enhanced durability
- Provides increased impact protection while catching
- Allows for a customizable fit for maximum comfort
- The soft, flexible shell and lining materials make catching a breeze, while the 80% factory break-in means you can take this glove right to the diamond with minimal player break-in required. So if you're looking for a top-notch glove that will help you field like a pro, choose the Rawlings Player Preferred Glove Series.
Perfect for Beginners
Rawlings Sure Catch Glove Series T-Ball Youth Baseball Glove
- The Rawlings Sure Catch Glove Series T-Ball & Youth Baseball Gloves are perfect for young athletes just starting to learn the game. These gloves feature Sure-Catch technology that allows players to quickly and easily close the glove as soon as they put it on, and a durable, lightweight design that includes an all-leather shell and padded finger linings for optimal balance, added quickness, shape retention, and extra comfort.
- This Sure Catch Basket Web youth baseball glove has been designed to make plays all over the field.
- For Players Age 4 - 10: This glove is easy to use and perfect for young athletes just starting to learn the game
- A durable, lightweight design that includes an all-leather shell and padded finger linings designed for optimal balance, added quickness, shape retention, and extra comfort for young athletes with growing hands
- Rawlings’ Sure-Catch technology allows players to quickly and easily close the baseball glove as soon as they put it on for the first time
- his Sure Catch Basket Web youth baseball glove has a game-ready feel right out of the box thanks to the 90% Rawlings factory break-in
- Technology:Pro Mesh
- With a game-ready feel right out of the box thanks to the 90% Rawlings factory break-in, the Rawlings Sure Catch Glove Series is perfect for any young player looking to take their game to the next level.
Top 4 Youth Baseball Advanced Players Gloves
Dual Welting & Thin Heel Pad
Wilson A1000 Top Quality Youth Baseball Glove
- The all-new WILSON A1000 baseball glove series offers a unique combination of top-quality construction and cutting-edge design. Featuring dual welting for unbeatable support and a thin heel pad for quick break-in, these gloves are perfect for any infield, outfield or pitcher's model.
- Rolled Dual Welting: Dual Welting in Wilson gloves goes beyond a mere cosmetic effect, as it’s integrated into the liner of each infield, outfield and pitcher's model, offering better support and helping your glove hold its shape better over time.
- DriLex Wrist Lining: Keeps your hand dry and comfortable on the field and behind the dish.
- The DriLex wrist lining provides exceptional comfort, while the bold logos strip away distractions and add an eye-catching appeal. Make a statement on the field with the all-new WILSON A1000 baseball glove series.
Designed for Smaller Thinner Hands
Rawlings Heart of the Hide Baseball Glove Series R2G & Contour
- Introducing the Rawlings Heart of the Hide Baseball Glove Series R2G & Contour Fit Models. These gloves have been designed with the player in mind, and are sure to enhance your game.
- This Heart of the Hide 11.5 inch Pro I Web glove forms the perfect pocket and enhances your glove-to-throwing hand transfers
- the ContoUR series was designed as a result of extensive research and testing that revealed a need for a specific pattern tailored to smaller, thinner hands
- Promote better contact with the back of the glove giving the player move control of their glove when fielding
- ContoUR gloves feature an adjustable wrist pull lace to allow players to create a custom, secure fit, creating better glove control
- The Heart of the Hide 11.5 inch Pro I Web glove forms the perfect pocket and enhances your glove-to-throwing hand transfers, while the ContoUR series has been specifically designed for smaller, thinner hands. The lowered finger stalls promote better contact with the back of the glove, giving the player more control when fielding.
- Additionally, the adjustable wrist opening on ContoUR gloves allows players to create a custom, secure fit, resulting in better glove control. Each glove is made for a right-hand throw (the glove goes on the left hand) and features a 65% factory/35% player break-in, allowing for a faster break-in period and that game-ready feel.
Designed for Infield Players
Rawlings Heart of The Hide Baseball Series
- The Rawlings Heart of The Hide Baseball Glove Series is designed for infield players and provides confidence-inspiring handling of any ground ball. The Hyper Shell is 15% lighter than traditional Heart of the Hide gloves, thanks to the carbon fiber construction
- this Heart of the Hide Hyper Shell 11. 5 inch Pro I Web glove will give you the confidence to handle any ground ball that comes your way
- IDEAL FOR AVID PLAYERS FROM HIGH SCHOOL TO THE PROS
- 15% LIGHTER THAN TRADITIONAL HEART OF THE HIDE GLOVES due to the carbon fiber Hyper Shell
- STRONG AND DURABLE due to the Pro Grade leather laces and padded thumb sleeve
- thanks to the deer tanned cowhide palm lining and soft full-grain finger back linings
- World-renowned Heart of the Hide leather is cut from the 5% of steer hides to create a strong and durable glove with a comfortable feel. The deer-tanned cowhide palm lining and soft full-grain finger back linings provide a 40% factory break-in, with the remaining 60% player break-in required. This glove is available in Right-Hand Orientation for Right Hand Throw / Left Hand Orientation for Left Hand Throw.
Best of Feel Durability & Break-in
Wilson A 2000 Baseball Glove Series 11.5" I-Web
- The Wilson A2000 baseball glove series is the perfect choice for hardworking infielders who demand the best in terms of feel, durability, and break-in. These gloves feature 11.5-inch models with an I-web, double lacing at the base of the web, and flat finger binding that provides a shallower pocket for quick transfers around the bag.
- Cross web with Baseball stitch
- New pattern featuring gap welting
- The A2000 1786 is Wilson's most popular infield pattern for a reason. Infielders can't get enough of the I-Web, flat finger binding, and double lacing because they help keep the pocket shallow for quick transfers around the bag. This new take on 1786 features Blonde, Dark Brown, and White Pro Stock Leather for a classic appearance. Constantly improving patterns. Materials that perform.
- Dependable construction. The evolution of the A2000 baseball glove continues to be driven by insights from the Wilson Advisory Staff. This is why hardworking players love its unmatched feel, rugged durability and perfect break-in.
Most FAQs about Best Youth Baseball Gloves:
What is the difference between an infield and an outfield glove?
There are a few key differences between the infield and outfield gloves. Infield gloves are typically smaller and have a shallower pocket, making it easier to catch balls in tight spaces. Outfield gloves are larger with a deeper pocket, which makes them better suited for catching fly balls.
In addition, infield gloves often have a stiffer feel, while outfield gloves tend to be more flexible. This flexibility is important because outfielders need to be able to scoop up balls quickly and throw them accurately.
Lastly, infielders typically prefer a glove with less padding since they're fielding close to the body, while outfielders prefer more padding so that they can catch balls without injuring their hands.
What are the different types of youth baseball gloves?
When it comes to baseball gloves, there are a few different types that you will find on the market. You have the first baseman's mitt, the catcher's mitt, and then there are also infielder's gloves and outfielder's gloves.
- Catcher's Mitts - Catcher's mitts are larger than other types of baseball gloves and have a deeper pocket to help the catcher catch the ball.
- First Baseman's Mitts - First baseman's mitts are larger than other types of baseball gloves and have a shallower pocket to help the first baseman scoop up the ball.
- Outfielder's Gloves - Outfielder's gloves are smaller than other types of baseball gloves and have a deeper pocket to help the outfielder catch the ball.
- Infielder's Gloves - Infielder's gloves are smaller than other types of baseball gloves and have a shallower pocket to help the infielder catch the ball.
As for youth baseball gloves, these are not as big or bulky as adult gloves. They are designed to be smaller and fit better on a child's hand. Kids' baseball gloves typically come in two sizes - small/medium and medium/large. You can find them in both traditional and synthetic materials. And, finally, they come in a variety of colors too!
What is the best way to break in a new baseball glove?
The best way to break in a new baseball glove is to use it as much as possible. Play catch with it, throw it around, and wear it as often as you can. The more you use it, the more comfortable it will become. You can also try using a leather conditioner or oil to help soften the leather and make it more pliable. Avoid getting your glove wet, as this can ruin the leather.
What are the best youth baseball gloves for 9 year old?
When choosing the best youth baseball gloves for a 9-year-old, it is important to consider comfort, fit, and durability. The best gloves are typically made of soft, durable leather that breaks in easily and forms to the hand. They should also be lightweight and have a secure Velcro closure to ensure a snug fit.
Most youth baseball gloves are sized for players between the ages of 9 and 12. Glove sizes range from 7 inches to 11 3/4 inches. The best way to find the correct size glove is to measure the hand from the tip of the middle finger to the base of the palm.
Once you have determined your child's glove size, it is important to try on several gloves until you find one that is comfortable and that fits well. The fingers should be snug in the glove, but not too tight, and there should be space between the thumb and first finger.
Some popular brands of youth baseball gloves include Wilson, Rawlings, and Mizuno. It is important to try on several different gloves to find the one that feels most comfortable and provides the best grip for your child.
What are the best youth baseball gloves for 4 year old?
There is a lot of contradictory information out there regarding what the best youth baseball gloves are for 4-year-olds. some parents swear by buying kids baseball gloves that are extra small, while others say that it is better to get a youth glove size that is a little bit larger so that the child can grow into it.
Ultimately, the decision of what size and type of youth baseball glove to buy for your 4-year-old depends on a few factors, including the child's hand size, preferred position, and budget.
If you are looking for age-specific guidance, most experts agree that kids ages 4-6 should use an 11-inch baseball glove if they play infield positions such as shortstop or second base. For outfield positions, a larger glove such as a 12-inch or 13-inch may be more appropriate.
It is also important to take into account the child's hand size when choosing a youth baseball glove. If your child has large hands for their age, you may want to consider buying a larger size glove so that they can grow into it. Conversely, if your child has small hands, you may want to buy an extra small or small-sized glove.
The most important thing to remember when choosing the best youth baseball gloves for your child is to select something comfortable and durable. Avoid cheaply made gloves that will fall apart after only a few uses. Instead, invest in a quality pair of gloves that will last for several seasons.
How long should a baseball glove last?
Baseball gloves, like any other piece of equipment, will eventually wear out. However, with proper care and maintenance, a baseball glove can last for several seasons.
For youth baseball gloves, it is recommended to replace them every year or two. This is because the youth glove is more prone to wear and tear than an adult glove. Kids playing in recreational leagues may need to replace their gloves more often than those playing in more competitive leagues.
When taking care of your baseball glove, you should always store it in a cool, dry place. You should also avoid leaving it in direct sunlight or near a heat source, as this can damage the material and impair the performance of the glove. Damaged gloves should be replaced immediately.
How important is it to choose a quality baseball glove for youth?
Youth needs to choose a quality baseball glove because the glove will help the youth fielder make catches and field ground balls easier. The youth baseball glove should fit the hand comfortably and have a good grip on the ball.
The construction of the glove is also important because it will determine how long the glove lasts. A well-constructed glove will have better durability and be able to withstand wear and tear.
Who uses the smallest baseball glove in MLB?
There is no definitive answer to this question, as different players prefer different sizes of baseball gloves. However, some players do use smaller gloves than average.
One player who uses a small glove is second basemanases Eduardo Nunez of the Boston Red Sox. Nunez has said that he started using a smaller glove after he saw a young fan wearing one at a game. He thought it looked comfortable and easier to move around in, so he decided to give it a try. He’s been using a small glove ever since.
Other players who have used smaller-than-average gloves include shortstop Jose Reyes and third baseman Pablo Sandoval, both of whom used youth-sized gloves during their Major League careers.
Do youth baseball gloves good for boys and girls?
There's no definitive answer to this question since it depends on the individual child and what type of glove they feel most comfortable using. However, many parents opt for youth baseball gloves for their kids since they offer a snug fit and better grip on the ball.
If you're considering purchasing a youth baseball glove, be sure to try it on your child first to see if it's a good fit. Other things to consider include the materials (leather or synthetic) and webbing (I-web or closed). Ultimately, the best glove is the one that fits well and helps your child play their best.
There is no definitive answer when it comes to choosing the best leather quality for youth baseball gloves. It really depends on your individual needs and preferences. However, some factors you may want to consider include the type of ball you'll be using, the climate you'll be playing in, and your budget.
What is the best leather quality for a youth baseball glove?
Generally speaking, baseball gloves made from higher-quality leather will last longer and provide a better level of performance. However, they will also typically cost more. If you're on a tight budget, there are still plenty of great options available made from lower-quality leathers.
- Full grain leather is the highest quality available, and youth baseball gloves made from this material will be the most expensive. The natural grain of the cowhide lends both strength and character to the finished product, but it also makes the leather heavier and stiffer. It will take some time for the glove to break in and conform to the shape of your hand, but it will be very durable.
- Kip leather is a luxury cowhide that is thinner and lighter weight, making it easier to break in. However, it is not as durable as full grain leather.
- Steer or cowhide is the baseline for leather gloves, and youth gloves made from this material will be less expensive than those made from full grain leather. The hide is medium to heavy weight, making it fast to break in.
- Premium steer hide is even stronger than cowhide, but it is also stiffer and heavier. It will take a long time to break in, but it will be very durable.
How to break in your youth baseball glove?
Baseball gloves, like any other piece of leather equipment, require a break-in period. How long this break-in will take depends on the quality of the glove and how often it is used. A new glove that isn't used regularly may take up to a week or two to break in completely.
To break in your youth baseball glove, you'll need to use it as much as possible. Start by wearing it around the house; then progress to light workouts and finally games. The more you use it, the quicker the leather will soften and form in your hand.
Selecting the right baseball glove is crucial for any player seeking to improve their fielding skills. By considering factors such as glove size, position, webbing type, material, fit, break-in period, and budget, you can make an informed decision and find a glove that feels like an extension of your hand. Remember, a well-suited glove not only enhances your performance but also adds to the joy and excitement of playing the game.